Gary Robinson
Gary Robinson, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  25 years of working on Fords, from Cortina's to Kuga's.

Ford focus gia: I bought a 2003 ghia Focus, 1.6 this week and

I bought a 2003 ghia Focus, 1.6 this week and an orange engine light has come on today, Not sure what it is?
Good evening and thank you very much for your question.

The engine management unit (ECU) has detected a fault and this is why the engine management warning light has activated.

A fault code should be stored in the ecu's memory which will point your garage in the direction of the fault. The only way to find out what has caused the problem is to take your car to a garage that has the correct diagnostic equipment, and have a diagnostic check carried out, which will reveal what the fault code is.

Most garages have this equipment nowadays, so I would suggest phoning round for a quote unless you have a garage that you use regularly. You do not have to go to a main Ford dealer for this test.

There are many reasons why the light could come on, so guessing what the problem is would not be wise and will almost certainly end up costing you money.

Your car will be safe to drive, unless you have a misfire. If you have a misfire, the engine will be under powered and you will feel a juddering sensation. This will cause unburnt fuel to enter the catalytic converter, which will seriously damage it. Providing there is no misfire, then you will be ok to continue to drive your Focus, but I would suggest that you have a diagnostic check carried out as soon as it is practical for you.

I hope this answers your question.
Regards, Gary.
Hi Summer.
Once again, thank you very much for your question. I hope that you were happy with my answer and that your Ford Focus is now running well. If you have more questions, you can ask me directly — that's what I'm here for!
Best regards, Gary.