sean
sean, UK Ford Master Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Tech since 2001 & MOT tester mechanic since 1984.
31670004

Ford Galaxy: Bought last a used ford galaxy 2010 model with

Bought last a used ford galaxy 2010 model with powershift transmission and 52000 miles. At low speeds gear changes were not very smooth so I went to a ford dealer. They did a software update but now the car changes the gears very quickly keeping the revs always at around 1,5 krpm. When driving in speeds when a lower gear is needed, you hear the clutch engaging shortly for few seconds, the revs increase a bit, then the clutch is disengaged again and the higher gear remains in. The system plus non-sto like this until you press the accelerator to move to a higher speed (this problem was not present before the software update or was at least not so obvious). In ford they told me that as a first step oil and gearbox filter need to be changed. When I change the gears in the manual mode, the gearbox works without any problems. If the oil change does not fix the problem, what should I do next? Will a gearbox or engine ecu reset help?
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  sean replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Do you know the service history of the vehicle? Did it have the transmission oil changed at the 37.5K service? Have you the chassis number of the vehicle? So I can obtain the correct details.

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, according to the history provided by the seller, the car was serviced every approx 15-16000 miles. However, I don't know if the gearbox oil was changed in one of those services. In the workshop I brought it now they say that it was overdue.
Expert:  sean replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

if the transmission oil and filter wasn't changed at the 37.5K service then this can lead to many concerns with the powershift transmission, Ford technical services have been stressing this point to all dealers since the transmissions introduction.

There is no total transmission reset available, some parameters in the transmission control module can be reset, this is usually carried out after a software update but if not get the dealer to reset the parameters after the oil and filter change.

The transmission also adapts to driving style so you may find that the behaviour of the gearshifts may alter the more you drive the car and the control module adjusts to your driving style.

Other than oil and filter replacement and software programming the powershift transmission is still a sealed unit in the UK so no parts are available internally on the transmission. You need to establish if the oil and filter were replaced at 37.5K as if this wasn't carried out any warranty on the transmission may be void (a UK Galaxy has 60K/3 year warranty) as if a transmission replacement is required Ford will want a copy of the invoice for the oil and filter replacement.

Have the oil and filter replaced then allow a thousand miles for the transmission to adapt then go from there.

Let me know if I can assist further or if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

sean, UK Ford Master Technician
Experience: Ford Master Tech since 2001 & MOT tester mechanic since 1984.