Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics
9261905

Ford Smart Charge Focus Diesel: I have replaced the alternator, battery (lead/acid) and wi

Ford Smart Charge Focus Diesel: I have replaced the alternator, battery (lead/acid) and wiring loom to alternator, yet I am still getting the battery fault light especially with a high load on the system
Submitted: 2 years ago via AskTheMechanic.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

MIKE :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

MIKE :

Have you had any plug in diagnostic tests done - and if so, with what results?

Customer:

no

Customer:

the work was done at my local garage, not ford, the technician the system was partially charging?, but over the weekend while driving in dark and rain battery light came I'm assuming indicating that it was not being charged properly.

MIKE :

Ok... has the voltage etc been checked and confirmed the fault?

MIKE :

MIKE :

Are you having trouble with the CHAT system?>

MIKE :

Im not receiving any replies from you - I will give it a couple of mins and if I dont receive anything , I will switch us out of CHAT to the Q&

A system.

Customer:

I have not checked voltage over terminals, I assume this was done by the mechanic, they could not not solve the problem and advised that I should go to Ford to test

MIKE :

Right I have you back..

Customer:

Can I run the car without the smart charge or this integral to the system

MIKE :

They need the proper test equipment for the smart charge system - or they cannot deal with it... I note too that you mention the lead acid battery they fitted - it should be the proper type....

Customer:

Also do I need to replace the battery with a calcium one, as of now i am using an external charger every few days

MIKE :

No, Im sorry it is integral - you cannot do without it ot bypass it Im afraid.

MIKE :

Our posts crossed re the battery - yes you are correct there !

MIKE :

The Smart Charge system is a very complicated one - bascially it runs and is controlled by the PCM -

MIKE :

Hence the need for plug in diagnostics.

Customer:

So my only option is to take it to a Ford garage

MIKE :

Not the only option no... there are garages, smaller ones that have the dealer level equipment - If you can find one with that, thats fine - I would ring around locally first .

MIKE :

If you can find one with the equipment, it may be cheaper for you.

MIKE :

Can I help you any more at all ?

Customer:

While I am trying to sort this out, am I safe with charging the battery and having the smart charge system off line or will it cause other problems?

MIKE :

No you are "safe" , it wont cause any issues, it just wont run / charge properly - ie, continue to go down on you..

MIKE :

If we are done, I just need you to click on the Accept and the OK (or higher if you like ) ratings service for me please... and you can get back to me anytime - you are Welcome.

Customer:

Can I jump start the car if necessary?

MIKE :

... Yes you can do that -

MIKE :

you can run it on a fully charged battery until it goes down... you can keep doing that if you need.

Customer:

Ok thank you

MIKE :

No problem at all - Im very glad to have helped you - Please dont forget to click the Accept and OK service ratings for me.. Thank You.

Mike, Technician
Experience: 34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics