Mark
Mark, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  Over 30 yrs trade experience
69494627

Ford Escort van: The battery on my 2000 W reg 1.8 diesel van

Customer Question

The battery on my 2000 W reg 1.8 diesel van went flat. I replaced the battery and the alternator but the new alternator still won't charge the battery. I'm only getting 12 volts at the battery terminals. I've run a lead from the B+ alternator terminal straight to the battery and an earth lead from the alternator body to the battery as well. The charge light is on all the time. The alternator has 3 terminals. B+ is to the battery but I don't know which of the remaining 2 terminals is for the charging light D+ or W. I've tried it on both. Help!!!!
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

markthebooler :

Hello. D+ is for warning lamp. W is for rev counter if you have one fitted.

Customer :

HI, Thanks for the info on the terminals. The alternator still won't charge the battery and this is the 2nd one that I've tried. I don't know what to try next.

markthebooler :

Does the battery warning light stay on?

Customer :

Yes it does.

markthebooler :

There is the possibilty that because you may have wired it incorrectly that you may have damaged the new alternator.