sean, UK Ford Master Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Tech since 2001 & MOT tester mechanic since 1984.

Ford mondeo mistral tdci: How do you bleed the fuel system

How do you bleed the fuel system on mondeo mistral tdci 2004

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

To bleed the fuel system on this engine requires the use of a priming pump as the fuel system on the car doesn't have a electric in tank pump. Use the priming pump on the outlet from the fuel filter (middle pipe of the 3) and pull the diesel through the filter. If you have any form of vacuum pump this could also be used. There is a small transfer pump in the high pressure fuel pump but this isn't powerful enough to bleed air from the system. If you just crank the engine over to bleed the fuel system this will allow air into the high pressure side making it even more difficult to bleed. If you change the fuel filter don't try to start the car until the system is bled. If you can't obtain any form of priming pump then fill the new filter full of diesel before fitting and try it this way, you may find the engine will start and cut out, you then have to crank it for a little while, don't crank it for more than 10 seconds to prevent starter motor damage.

Below is the Ford hand primer that I use to give you an idea of the kind of pump you need.

I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,