sean, UK Ford Master Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Tech since 2001 & MOT tester mechanic since 1984.

Ford 2006 FORD MONDEO 2.0 TDCi surging problem

Got a 2006 FORD MONDEO 2.0TDCi surging problem - no smoke from what I can tell in the rear view mirror but engines rev soar if press accelrator and continues to accelerate for a while after I take my foot off the gas. Loss of power too when keeping at under 3k revs to stop surge.  More noticeable at slow speeds when accelerating than on motorway runs.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

When the engine revs. soar does the car accelerate in line with engine speed? When at slower speeds and the car lacks power do you press the accelerator and the car is slow to pick up? Or does the revs speed up without the car accelerating? Are any warning lights coming on?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No warning lights and revs soar at slow speed (under 30-40 mph) without car picking up much speed. I get upto speed much slower by using my rev counter and pressing gas gentler than normal. If I press hard the revs soar to max at slow speed without any noticeable acceleration.
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello again, thank you for your reply.

From the description you've given this is down to the clutch slipping. The clutch consists of a clutch cover, a center plate and a bearing/cylinder assembly. The center plate is clamped between the clutch cover and the flywheel of the engine, it has a hole in the middle that is located on the gearbox input shaft, as the flywheel turns so does the center plate clamped between the flywheel and the clutch cover which turns the gearbox input shaft. When you press the clutch the bearing pushes against the clutch cover causing the cover to release pressure on the center plate allowing the flywheel to turn without turning the plate and so the gearbox.

When the clamping pressure on the center plate isn't tight enough the plate "slips" so not transmitting all the drive from the engine into the gearbox. The higher the load on the plate when it is slipping the more it will slip and the less drive is transmitted to the gearbox. This explains why when you try to accelerate hard the engine speeds up but the acceleration of the car is slow. If you accelerate gently then there isn't as much load on the center plate so it is less likely to slip.

As you say it is getting worse, if left long enough the clutch will slip too much so no drive is transmitted from the engine to the gearbox so the car won't drive.

To replace the clutch means removing the gearbox so it is a little costly as this is around 5 hours labour plus the parts, also this engine has a dual mass flywheel that is a little prone to failing so don't be surprised if when a garage does the clutch they tell you the car wants a flywheel as well. I would ring a few garages to obtain a quote as a lot of garages replace clutches for a fixed fee.

I hope this answers your question but if I can assist further or if you need clarification of any point then let me know and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Best wishes,