Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics
9261905

How do I remove fwd ford transit mk7 wheel hub?

Customer Question

Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

MIKE :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

MIKE :

Please give me the Full reg number of your van -- Also, is this the front or rear wheel hub you refer too ?

MIKE :

What job are you doing exactly?

MIKE :

Please type your info / reply here when you come back on system - When I receive it, I will get back to you asap thereafter.. Kind Rgds, MIKE..........................................

Customer : hi my transit reg is ht06tne I'm changing the hub because the bearing is on its way out and to buy the bearing, it comes as standard fully fitted to the hub. I'm changing drivers side front
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, thank you for your reply..

Im not sure of your level of expertise but its not a bad job this if you have a fair mechanical knowledge and a good set of tools -

You need to have the van up on stands and secure..having first loosened the wheel nuts of the side you are working . Too - ensure you have slackened the centre hub / drive shaft nut first - before lifting the van!

Then - remove the wheel - and remove the brake caliper by undoing the two large retaining bolts from behind the caliper - secure the caliper out of the way. Do not detach the fluid lines at all - just take the caliper off and secure it so that its not hanging on its pipe.

Then remove the front disc.... A puller is sometimes needed to do this though they will usualy come off with judicious persuasion with a hammer...

Prise out the seal that is in the rear of the hub.

Then you have access the bearings which on these can be removed and then the "races" where the inner and outer bearings run - can be knocked out with a drift / chisel.

Replace them by direct reversal of removal - ensuring that the races sit square on the ledge inside the hub... Fully grease up the new bearings before fitting,. fit a new seal - just use a flat bar and hammer to fit that -square.. and then refit the hub and other parts referred to earlier in reverse of removal - tighten the centre hub nut to a torque of 250nm... then rotate the wheel fully 5 times - then tighten the nut further to 500nm... re rotate the wheel - make sure all is ok. Ford say you should use a new nut too.

One other tip is to pump the brake pedal when all is refitted - before driving the van - as the pedal will go down ..until the pads have come back up to the disc again. And thats the job done.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Let me know if I can help anymore...

Meantime >>> Please don't forget to click the "Accept button" for me Now - Thank You ...

Please note , you need to press the Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you again.

Kind Rgds - MIKE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi thanks for the reply, would you know what size socket I will need for the hub/drive shaft nut? Also will I need to hit the draft shaft to release hub? Many thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, thank you for your reply.

The hub nut is a 36 mm - you need then a 36 mm socket to undo that .. Im sorry .. I did put that which is why I thought it funny you asked - but on checking, it has disappeared from my answer along with a line re undoing the torx bolts through the hub / disc before pulling the disc off. You align the holes in the back of disc to remove those.

Im sorry either I deleted that info by mistake or something system wise ! but its there for you now above.

As regards XXXXX XXXXX shaft - it will push out back through when you release / remove the whole hub - they dont normally stick at all..

I hope that all helps you further -

Best Rgds - MIKE.

>> Please don't forget to click the "Accept button" for me Now - Thank You ...

Kind Rgds - MIKE