paulr2011
paulr2011, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  ford technician
60718220

2007 Ford Focus: Ghia with the electronic handbrake..great ride

Customer Question

Hi guys,
I have a 2007 Ford Focus C Max Ghia with the electronic handbrake. Car itself is fantastic, great ride, wonderful engine, etc. Only problem is the EPB! It has had minor problems for some months with "limited EPB function" coming up and had to use the release handle. Then it would work again. For the last three months, it has hardly worked at all with "total EPB failure" showing with a mixture of the orange warning light on, the handbrake red drum on or both! When it does start to work on the odd occasion, it is after a significant warm and dry spell. Does this point to water ingress or corroded cables/connectors? This appears on several threads as the usual fault. If so, where do I need to look and is there a way of using a multimeter and/or a fault code reader to track it down?

Any help will be grealty appreciated as the MOT is due soon!!!
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  paulr2011 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, the early c-max did have problems with the epb. Could you forward me your chassis number, and I will look to see if your car has the epb under the vehicle near the back axle, or if you know you could tell me.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Best wishes, Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, the EPB is under the spare wheel well

Paul

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Paul

PS chassis number from windscreen fret is WF0MXXGCDM7K01496

Expert:  paulr2011 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks fir the prompt reply. From what you are saying, it does sound as though you do need a new epb module. They were a bad design, and unfortunately suffered from water ingress. This explains why it often works better on the hot dry days. I do believe that after market modules are now available, and are a lot cheaper than the genuine one. I would have a look on the Internet, and see what's out there. Ford have now changed the design, and are using electric calipers, which seem to be alot better.
I hope this helps you.
If you have any further questions, please ask.
If you are happy with the answer, please click accept of leave feedback when prompted.
Best wishes, Paul.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Paul,

Understand if that is your experience but researching the internet over many months, everyone says that it rarely if ever the module at fault. How can I test the module? I have had it off the car and had a look inside it. It is very basic and there is no indication of water ingress or corrosion. Why would the warning lights change?

Expert:  paulr2011 replied 2 years ago.
You would really need a diagnostic check on the vehicle. This would indicate what the fault was. Another fault that can cause problems, and put lights on dash, and many other strange things, is water ingress into the fuse box in the passenger footwell.
With the ignition off, unplug the connectors to the fuse box, and look for signs of corrosion on the terminals.
If you have any further questions please ask.
Let me know how you get on.
Best wishes,
Paul
paulr2011, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience: ford technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Looked at the fuse box and unplugged and checked the connectors. All seem fine. However now I have no engine, other electrics seem fine but nothing when trying ignition switch at crank. Is it the immobiliser? If so, how do I reset it?

Paul

Expert:  paulr2011 replied 2 years ago.
If you disconnected fuse box with engine off and ignition off, as longs as all connectors are reconnected properly vehicle should start as normal. Double check all connectors are clipped in place correctly.
What exactly is the car doing now. Ate there any lights on or flashing?
Best wishes
Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi {Paul,

Before reading your response, I had re-checked all of the connectors that I had disturbed and voila, not only an engine but also a handbrake. Everything now seems fine except for the code for the radio but I will sort that one out.

Thanks for your patience and support and I will keep an eye on the passenger footwell connectors. I had a problem with no rear lights on my Mk 3 Cortina and it was eventually tracked down to a connector in the drivers footwell!!

Expert:  paulr2011 replied 2 years ago.
Glad you have got sorted. It may have been a connector to start with, which was not quite fully connected. If you need any more help, you can come back to me via this message.
Best wishes, Paul