paulr2011
paulr2011, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  ford technician
60718220

2006 ford focus: bonnet..Have had a independent mechanic look at it.

Hi, My wife has a 2006 ford focus zetec. I can't open the engine bonnet. Have had a independent mechanic look at it. He has managed to open it but has ordered and collected a new bonnet lock ( I presume he drilled the lock out). On collecting the lock there was no key with it. He asked about this and was told you don't get one. Please can you advice what do about this. Also do you have to drill the lock out.
Thankyou for your help
Phil.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  paulr2011 replied 4 years ago.
Hi, you don't have to drill the lock out. In my dealership, we usually remove the bonnet latch from the underside of the vehicle. It is held in place with 2 10mm bolts. You remove the under shield, and gain access that way. Then you can get the bonnet open. What we usually do then is to remove the lock barrel from its housing, with the key in it. You can then put the old barrel into the new housing. If the barrel has been drilled, then you will need to tumble a new barrel to your key. On this type of key for your car, you need to take it to a ford dealer, who can read the key for the code to tumble it, or you would need to remove another lock, take it apart carefully and copy it. Then rebuild both. The only other thing I can suggest, now that the lock has been drilled, is to go to a breakers yard, and buy a lock set. This way, you will be able to replace the bonnet barrel, and just put up with having a different key for it.
I hope this helps you.
If you have any further questions, please ask.
If you are happy with the answer please click accept.
Best wishes, Paul