sean, UK Ford Master Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Tech since 2001 & MOT tester mechanic since 1984.

Ford Mondeo: The P1631 code refers to a relay. The haynes manual

The P1631 code refers to a relay. The haynes manual gives no diagrams of the function or positions of the relays. Do you have such a diagram?
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Have you the chassis number of the car? So I can obtain the correct details. What is the concern with the car? Is it cutting out? Or the glow plug light flashing?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Sean, You have already responded to me regarding the P2338, my mechanic does not have the latest software to program my ICU or PCM. I do not want to use the local Ford garage as I find them arrogant and full of themselves. So to date I still have a dead Mondeo lying in my garden. But i would still like info on the relay layout of the car. Chassis no. is WF05XXGBB52R57666. best regards XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,

this code refers to the power hold relay for the engine management system. If there is a permanent concern with this relay then the engine would normally cut out or fail to start. Nine times out of ten the code is set in error normally due to the ignition been cycled a couple of time in quick succession. The relay is located in the fuse box next to the battery and is numbered K163 in the diagram.

The relay is triggered by the engine management, pins 5 and 2 are 12 volt feeds, pin 1 is the switched wire operated by the engine management to energize the relay and pin 3 is the 12 volt feed to various engine management components when the relay is energized, these components include the EGR actuator, the vehicle speed sensor if equipped and the variable vane turbo actuator.

I hope this helps but let me know if I can assist any further and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Sean,

Can you just remind me of the firing order for the Mondeo please?
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,

Mondeo firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2. Number 1 is the crank pulley end. Remember that Ford number the injectors in firing order on this engine so cylinder 1 is injector 1. Cylinder 2 is injector 4, cylinder 3 is injector 2 and cylinder 4 is injector number 3.

I hope this is clear enough for you.

Best regards,