Gallagher99
Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.4: I have a 2009 Ford Fiesta Titanium

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Ford Fiesta Titanium and the boot hatch keeps opening/unlocking of its own accord. As I go to pull away it clicks open and the display board alarms and shows boot open. I get out slam it shut and it then pops unlocked before I can get back in the car. Has been into Ford dealership 4 times in last year for repair, they have replaced the switch and lock but it still keeps happening. Seems to happen moreso when it has either been raining or on frosty mornings. Last week it happened when it was completely dry and sunny but when in garage they said there was waqter in swith so changed it again but it has now happened again today and is going in garage again next week although mechanic says he does not what he can do.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there , good afternoon to you Ok the fault lies with water ingress into the tailgate release switch ( common fault ) Ford have released a modified tail gate switch with better protection from water ingress If the fault reoccurs then butyl tape should be used around the tailgate switch body to prevent it happening again There has been issues with this since the fiesta was launched An going to a technical clinic with ford in the next few weeks and will be bringing this issue up as I have had several customers complaining about it As I said a temporary fix just now us butyl tape which is used to prevent water ingress in many seals etc This is covered under your ford 3year / 60,000 mile warranty If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice day Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian

Thank you for your advice. I think the switch has already been replaced a couple of times but I will have to ask the garage if they are using the new ford released modified tail gate switch or not. I am surprised to hear that this is a fault known about for some time I just wish my garage had heard of it. I would be most interested to hear what you find out at the techinical clinic if that is possible.

Many thanks

Wendy

Hi there

Ok there wasn't an actual release of a new modified switch
The reason I know of it as I spoke to my technical field engineer who said the switch was modified
Again I gave fitted this sulposedly bmodified switch and a few months later the customer is back for the same issue
It was my engineer and I that discussed using butyl tape as a temporary fix ( which i have used a few times and the customers gavent returned )fix as no official fix has been released from ford on this issue
Thus why I will be asking about this at the next technical clinic which is in a few weeks

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice day
Brian
Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have you been to the Technical Clinic and raised this fault yet?
Hi there , sorry for not getting back to you

I did raise this issue at the clinic and was told it was still in early stages of investigation by the engineers at ford who only deeply investigate things if so many repeat reports are sent for the same fault
I was only advised to keep sending reports for any repeat repairs I see
I have only had one or two issues where there has been a repeat repair and said to them regarding the butyl tape fix which they said they don't advise but we're not totally against it
So really I didn't get much further forward on this concern all be it ford are monitoring the situation volume of repeat concern reports or GCR s s sent to them

Kind regards

Brian