sean, UK Ford Master Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Tech since 2001 & MOT tester mechanic since 1984.

Ford Focus: My Ford Focus will not start , it says engine system

My Ford Focus will not start , it says engine system failure green flag came out and said it was an immobiliser fault. I have tried the both keys still no power, all the other electrics work, the light on the dash goes 1 flash followed by 6 flashes ??? can anyone help ?
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Flash code 16 is either incorrect key been used which we can disregard as you've tried 2 keys or a Controller Area Network (CAN) communication fault between the engine management and the instrument cluster.

Check fuse 30 (3amp) in the fuse box next to the battery, this fuse is for the engine management control module and as it is only 3 amp blows easily giving the symptoms you have. Also check the fuses in the fuse box below the glove box.

If all these are OK then unfortunately you need to have the fault codes read from the engine management and instrument cluster to pinpoint the part of the immobiliser system causing the fault.

There is no master key on this immobiliser system all the keys are the same priority, turning the ignition from position I to II as you describe is to reprogramme the remote locking and has no influence on the immobiliser.

Let me know if I can assist any further or if you have further questions regarding this.

Best wishes,