sean, UK Ford Master Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Tech since 2001 & MOT tester mechanic since 1984.

Ford c max 2.0 TDCI GHIA: i have a 05 plate focus c max2.0

i have a 05 plate focus c max2.0 tdci Ghia which i love but it does have a problem. At any time ,no matter what the weather, no matter what speed,the car cuts out and stops. At times a quick back turn of the ignition solves the problem and i,m on my way again. Other times i have to wait for around 30 seconds before it fires into life again. This is now occurring every time i take the car out but the timeing of the event is sporadic. On a motorway or busy road this is a potential deathtrap and my confidence in the car is now very low.
the car has now had a 7 year manufactures service and the dealer could not find fault with the car. I have now had it back 2 days and the problem is still there. I beleive this might be a common problem with this vehicle type
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

The first place to start with is to have the fault codes read from the engine management, as you say you had this done previously and no codes came up. The only fault that I've seen on 5 separate Focus/Cmax TDCi 2.0 that gives this symptom and hasn't left a code is a crankshaft position sensor fault. Normally if this sensor fails it should give a code and the engine will cut out, but as I say I've seen a few that haven't left a code but I replaced this sensor and the fault has been cured.

I would perhaps have the engine management checked again for fault codes and also make sure that the software in the engine management is the latest level available as software errors can cause these symptoms.

Let me know if I can assist further or if you have further questions regarding this.

Best wishes,