sean, UK Ford Master Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Tech since 2001 & MOT tester mechanic since 1984.

mondeo 2002 tdci..units controls the fuel cut off valve ecu, GEM KEY

I have a mondeo 2002 tdci, 115 133,000 estate,
The car will not start.

Which of the units controls the fuel cut off valve ECU, GEM KEY, OTHER?
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

What is the exact concern with the car?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Fuel is cut off by the valve, and the car will not start due to lack of fuel, and perhaps the injectors are not activated, my attempts to check the injectors was not susessful (using an oscilloscope) but no fuel is getting to the injectors, that can checked by loosing a union, which my mobile mechanic did, Untill I can establish the driver for he cut off valve,I cannot rectify the problem, you will confirm you know which valve I am talking about. At a guess the car is immobilised.

At one time the mechanic thought then pump was at fault and it was changed.

Regards Ron

Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello again, as the car was built before Feb. 2003 the inlet metering valve you refer to is controlled by the injector driver module as are the injectors. This is located behind the passenger side front wheel arch liner as shown.

If the immobiliser is active then the engine management control module will disable the IDM to prevent theft. If the PATS LED in the clock is flashing fast when you turn the ignition on then there is an immobiliser concern.

Check fuses 23, 27 and 42 as these power the IDM. Also make sure the 2 earth wires near the passenger headlight are OK as these are for the IDM.

Running a quick scan of the engine management memory should confirm if there is a concern with the IDM.

Let me know if I can assist further and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Best wishes,