Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 23 years

My 2006 tdci C-Max 136 bhp sometimes wont start..diagnostics

Customer Question

My 2006 TDCI C-Max 136 bhp sometimes won't start when it is warm. Have had it checked out on a diagnostics machine several times, comes back no codes stored. I am a taxi driver and cover 50,000+ miles a year. The car has had a new fuel rail and pressure regulator and a new high pressure fuel pump in the last 18 months. This only happens now and again, if I leave it for 10 minutes or so it will start OK. It sounds like there is no fuel getting through, even though there is plenty of fuel in the tank. It has never had any starting problems when it is cold,
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

This could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the inlet to the main engine fuel pump and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Matt, EGR was really blocked and had to fit a replacement, this made it slightly better, finally sorted out the problem, went to main dealer to have EGR educated, it wouldn't start, checked tech bulletins which suggested it was an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors. Did a run back test and found this was so, changed an injector and hey presto! fixed
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Well done for sorting it out and thanks for letting me know