Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics
9261905

Ford Transit T350 140: Hello We have a ford transit 350 on

Hello We have a ford transit 350 on a 58 plate and the dealer cant seem to fix this problem.
In the morning when the vehicle will start, but the accelerator is in operative for between 20 and 120 seconds. The vehicle will happily idle, but wont rev. Any Ideas.
The dealer has fitted an EGR valve which was the only fault in the fault memory, which didnt work and they are now wanting us to authorise them to change both batteries at our cost with no gurantee of a fix. Can any one suggest anything?
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

MIKE :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

MIKE :

Please give me the Full reg number of the van ( or full VIN if not a UK plate - ie, Irish etc )

MIKE :

Also - what is the mileage - and what is its service history / repair history?

MIKE :

How long has this been happening - and when did it start / how ?

MIKE :

What has the dealer left you with ?

MIKE :

Please type your reply here - and when I receive it, I will get back to you later / asap.. Rgds, MIKE...............................

Customer:

MA08MKM is the reg Number.

Customer:

Mileage is Circ 65,000 miles. Has recently had EGR valve at Ford Dealer ( Polar St.Helens ) Has started 8-10 weeks ago.

Customer:

Only happens in the morning when cold.

Customer:

The dealer wants us to replace both batteries at our cost.

Customer:

Only occurs for a short while, once it starts to rev problem doesnt re-present its self until started again, almost as if switching off resets the fault.

MIKE :

Hello again -

MIKE :

have the actually tested the batteries - and the charge system / charge rate do you know ? and has the APP been renewed - thats the accelerator pedal / sensor unit?

Customer:

The dealer recharged to full capacity, off the vehicle for 24 hours. As advised by ford Technical. But they have stated no drains are showing and whilst we dont have the charging rate they did say there was no issue with the charging. The accelerator pedal has not been renewed and the tech at Ford said it wasnt the pedal. I suppose if it was the pedal the fault would be consistent rather than just from cold start.

MIKE :

Hello again, thank you for your info..

MIKE :

I can see your reasoning on the App ( pedal unit ) ..and normally, that makes sense.. but modern electronics dont always make such sense... Im suprised that as they have had the ven in then didnt just try one ( an APP ) .. they could - and should do that to at least rule it out - or in of course.. If it didnt cure it, they could take it off again!

MIKE :

The same actually applies to the batteries - I dont think they are being very helpful really..

MIKE :

I have your van here -

Transit 2006-, 2.2L Duratorq TDCi (140PS) - Puma
VIN Number: WF0XXXTTFX8A47551

Registration Number: MA08MKM
Registration Date: 19.06.2008
Registration Country: GB
MIKE :

There are no recalls etc on this problem for your particular van or the range -

MIKE :

On this van / system however, there are several things that can cause what you have .. one is the App being faulty as discussed - and yes, battery power is highly important for the electronics to do their job properely -and these are easily checked / verified as above...

MIKE :

Other things that cause problems on this system are air ingress into the fuel supply.. When the van first starts frm cold this can be a problem until it clears and then the engine will run ok , so that needs full investigation.

MIKE :

All the pipework needs to be checked for chaffing , feactures , loose fittings (things that are easily missed - or even bypassed )...simple things that will cause these issues that you have..

MIKE :

The leak off pipes on the injectors are especially prone to this and is a big suspect here.

MIKE :

Too - a common issue with these is the fuel hosuing itself (filter housing)... they can allow air to enter the fuel system - over night or several hours standing...and it then will run ok when its sucked the fuel through - so that is a consideration. Problem there is that replacement is the only realy answer / check for that condition - but bear it in mind.

MIKE :

(Although one could bypass the filter / housing to test )

MIKE :

The diesel pumps on these also cause problems - usually a complete on start - but this as you have could be the beginning of such problems...

MIKE :

So bear that in mind - but work through or have them work through as above and Im sure the problem will be found therein.

MIKE :

I see the van is out of warranty so you dont have to stick with the dealer if you dont want - and to be honest - I do feel you would be much better having the van at a Diesel Specialist. They have the equipment etc to check and test through as above and are often more capable at this....

MIKE :

The only one other thing I would mention though -for you to mention while its at the dealers..is software updates for the engine management Ecu / computer. Ask them if they have tried that / if any are available -and if not / so.. ask them to do that and see if that helps. These updates cure many such odd running issues...

MIKE :

After which if it works great - If not - I would suggest to them re the APP and the batteries - ie, try / fit / remove if it doesn't cure it - and then after that - I strongly suggest as above - to have it to a diesel specialist who who working through as above, will get to the bottom of this for you.

MIKE :

MIKE :

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....
Please note , you need to press the Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you again.

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: 34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics