Gallagher99
Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford Focus: Engine warning light has come on and wont go away.

Engine warning light has come on and won't go away. I found out my oil was very low and have topped it up, but it hasn't instantly gone away. What else could be the problem, or does the oil need time to churn around?
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.

Hi there , HAPPY NEW YEAR to you ,

Ok just a few questions first

Ok is this an old shape focus 1999 onward to 2004.5

what is the engine size , - petrol/diesel

have any other lights came on or any of the gauges become arattic

is it the yellow engine symbol warning light that has came on

has it ever came on before and then went out

has any work been carriedout prevoiusly eg , ignition parts eg , coil or spark plug faults

is the vehicle running and performing ok

regards brian

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Brian,

Happy new year to you too.

Yes it is an old style focus and it is a petrol engine. The engine is a 1.6.

The light has never stayed on before, but does come on when I turn on the engine and flash off. It has never stayed on whilst driving before.

I noticed it on Saturday and then drove the 15 miles home. I could feel the engine chugging a little, but not too badly.

It has had no previous problems.

The colour of the light is orange.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Hi there Chris , Ok you mention the engine chugging

does this happen more so when accelerating or does the vehicle run rough at idle ( misfiring )

does it feel like a hesitation holding back when you are accelerating ,

at idle does the engine run rough ( missing )

when you rev the engine at idle does it stutter miss

kind regrads Brian

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Brian,

It's more of a running rough at idle. I can feel the engine being slighly stuttery.

Accelerating doesn't seem to be a problem.

Regards,

Chris

Hi there Chris , Ok the fault will lie with the vehicles ignition system ,

most commonly at fault is the ignition coil pack this is the part that delivers the spark to the spark plugs through the 4 plug leads ,

the coil pack usally suffers from hairline cracks down the side of the body

usally when the coil pack is faulty the vehicle suffers from severe lack of power

the first check that must be done is to remove and inspect the spark plugs as you say it isnt that noticeably when acceleration

i would be more incline to say that the fault will lie with the spark plug/s or plug lead/s

also once the spark plugs are removed inspect the white ceramic isnt cracked or has burnt line s down the ceramic( this is caused by faulty plug leads )

I would advise getting this issue fixed ASAP Chris as if you continue to drive the vehicle with an ignition missfire you run the risk of damaging the catalitic convertor

as when the ignition system is missfiring this causes raw petrol to enter the catalitic convertor and damage it

this can end up being quite expensive ( around £350)

if you need anymore help or advice on this issue Chris Please let me know

if you are completley satisfied with my Answer/Advice PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT

Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX

Brian

Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE