Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics

Ford transit i have a 57 plate ford transit 130bhp glx. lately

i have a 57 plate ford transit 130bhp glx. lately it has been making a rattling noise from the engine. When i accelerate up to 2000 revs its starts to rattle ( the sound is like a very old diesel engine noise) but if i change up gears without going past 2000 revs then it is fine. when i am in neutral i can rev and rev and i doesnt make a noise. i did have a problem one day when i was traveling along the motorway and all of a sudden the engine started to shudder and i pulled over, the aa came out and said it was an injector that came loose and he tightened it and off i went again. i think that when i do accelerate past the 2000 there is quite a bit of black smoke from the exhaust. can you help.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

First, please give me the full reg number of the van ..

Too , what is the mileage on the van - and what is its general service history and recent repair history ( other than the injector ) ?

Do you run the van on normal diesel?

Rgds MIKE...........................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, the reg is bn57 xyg. The mileage is 77000 and I have had it for 1 year with a full service history with no other faults. I put ordinary diesel in it. The services are done with ford parts. Thank you
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, thank you for that..

So long as you dont have the alternator / battery light on - we can rule out several common issues - but do just check the belts - alternator pulley and main bottom pulley for anything abnormal / wear on the belt etc - which would indicate a worn main pulley on the engine (bottom) - or alternator / power steering pulley... So check those first...and obviously if you find anything there - that will be the problem and will need to be sorted.

If all is well as above, then the timing chain / tensioner is suspect here - It will give you the exact symptoms you describe - even down to the noise disappearing at a certain rev range - this is because the tensioner will hold the chain fine at certain revs - and hence, no noise. At other engine rpm ranges, you get the noise as the chain rattles against the engine casing inside.

So those are the the areas to check / work through on this as above - one way or the other, the problem will be one of the above so you will arrive at the cause - I dont know what you can / are able to do - but a competent garage / mechanic will be able to make those checks for you - you shouldn't need to use a dealer - even smaller type garages can renew the chain etc if needed - that would save you a considerable amount of money over dealer rates...

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

.Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: 34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics