Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics

Ford transit o3 2.4 td transit wont turn over engine,if i

Customer Question

o3 2.4 td transit wont turn over engine,if i cross the starter relay it will turn over but won,t start. when i turn on ignition there is no handbreak light and when i turn key to start handbreak light comes on any ideas
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to justanswer....

Please give me the Full reg number of your Transit - - Also , when / how did this problem arise... if you can give me some background..

Too - have you tried different keys ?

Use the Reply button to get back to me - When I have your replies later today, I will get back to you asap- .. Rgds, MIKE......

Customer :

the van lost power allong the road would not pass 40mph,brought the van back to garage and turned it off and it started no more. if i leave the van over night it will turn over the engine 4 to5 times and will not turn over any moreuntill the next morning. van is irish reg 03 ce 4130

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again -

I had to switch us out of the Chat system as it wasn't working properly..

Given the symptoms you describe - first you need to check the condition of the battery - as it turns 4 / 5 times then fails - This can be a poor battery or its not been charged sufficiently when driving - and that then will actually cut the engine dead - drawing you to a halt... This could well be whats happened - as its doing as you say above -

So- check the state of the battery - re charge it fully - or fit a known good one and retry it -

Once its started- check the charge system - with a meter on the battery it should show 14.6 volts ( circa) If it shows 15 v or more - or 12 /13 or less, the alternator / charge system is suspect and would need further investigation - but you would be on to the cause of teh breakdown then..

Given your symptoms and added info, this is what its looking like - so work through as above - Let me know if you need anything else -

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

.Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.