Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 23 years
12772297

Ford focus the bonnet release on my ford focus (58 plate)

the bonnet release on my ford focus (58 plate) doesn't work-key turns left then right but doesnt release -is there anything I can do other than take in to my local ford dealer to fix it-can you help please ?
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello

the lock on these is pretty exposed so suffers badly from corrosion 1st thing to do is flood the lock with WD40 through the keyhole , leave it to soak for about 20 mins then put the key in the lock and run more oil down the key whilst working the key back and forth

then put some pressure on the leading edge of the bonnet to take the pressure off the lock and at the same time try the key in the lock.

If this doesn't work then you will have to break through the grill to access the lock, if you snap the grill off from the bottom its possible to make an adequate repair with ty-wraps to put it back into place