sean, UK Ford Master Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Tech since 2001 & MOT tester mechanic since 1984.

Ford t280 2002 transit 280 getting hard to start.engine turns

2002 transit 280 getting hard to start.engine turns over for ages sometimes it starts sometimes it time it starts first turn of key.if not starting and jump start from another vehicle it starts first time.if try push start it wont start
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  sean replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Can you confirm if you jump start the van it starts first time every time? Does it start OK with a tow? Or have you just pushed it and it won't start?

Let me know and I'll rely as soon as I'm able to.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

run van down bit of hill try to bump start it that way ignition on and in 2nd gear wont start .

put jump leads on it twice started first turn of key both times

have put new battery in van see if that would help but it didnt help

Expert:  sean replied 5 years ago.

Hello again,

you need to check the current been drawn from the battery when cranking the engine, check this on the earth lead between the battery negative and the body of the van. If the current exceeds 500A it may be the starter motor causing the concern, if the starter drops the voltage too far on the vehicle when cranking the engine management doesn't operate correctly. If there appears to be a concern with the starter motor make sure the water pump hasn't been leaking on to it. Also volt drop the main battery lead to the starter motor when operating there should be no more than 0.5 volts reading, any higher would indicate a high resistance in the lead, do the same from the starter motor body to earth again a reading higher than 0.5 volts indicates a high resistance.

Having the jump leads on may have bypassed the high resistance in the wiring especially if you used the post under the bonnet rather than the battery.

Bump starting may not have got the engine turning fast enough to start.

As I said earlier check the starter motor and wiring and go from there.

Let me know if you require further assistance and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,