Trev
Trev, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  NVQ 3, Modern Apprenticeship, MOT Tester, 15+ years experience diagnostic technician

Ford Transit Connect 1.8 TD Ive got an 06 connect 1.8 turbo

Customer Question

I've got an 06 connect 1.8 turbo diesel, the symptoms are no turbo boost, the fault code P0235 turbo boost sensor A circuit malfunction is present, I've changed the boost control valve, cleared the code. After a brief road test it's still flat and the same fault code is back. All the vacuum and intercooler pipes are ok. Any ideas ? Cheers Neil
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can be of assistance.

You say you changed the boost sensor and boost control valve is this correct? Have you the facility to check live data in the engine management?

Let me know and I'll reply to you as soon as I'm able to.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sean, yes we can record live data, what info do you need? Cheers
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

if you can check the pressure reading from the MAP sensor with the ignition on but the engine not running and also when you rev the engine.

Also have you the chassis number of the van? If not is the turbo vane actuator vacuum or electronically actuated?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sean, The chassis no is WFOTXXTTPT6S25861, the actuator is vacuum operated, the MAP sensor readings are ign on 6240 kpa, accelerate the engine it is 7060 kpa, maintain 3000 rpm and it reads 6805 kpa. Hope this info helps. Cheers
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

is there any chance of the readings in bar? Just to confirm them as I don't use kPa, I've tried a converter and if this is correct either the data been read is incorrect or I'm surprised the van runs at all. Does the van start OK?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sean, I'll recheck the readings, it will be monday as I've left the workshop for the weekend and yes it starts on the button. Have a good weekend, I'll talk to you monday. Cheers
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Ok no problem, I'll reply on Monday as soon as I can.

Thanks.

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

any joy with the readings yet?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sean, as you did i tried to convert kpa to psi, they make no sence, this van was booked in by the fleet manager who goes by what the driver tells her. I've phoned the driver direct to get more info, and it seems the van got slower and slower over a period of time which made us look a bit deeper, had the boost pipe off and the turbo is very stiff to turn, we've only just started doing this fleet, every one we've seen is a rolling wreck. I'll let you know how we get on. Cheers
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Ok, no problem.

Regards,

Sean.