Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics
9261905

GLOW PLUG LIGHT..LOSS OF POWER, ON MONDEO 04 2 LITRE..relay

GLOW PLUG LIGHT FLASHING AND LOSS OF POWER, ON MONDEO 04 2 LITRE TDCI. I have been advised to change glow plugs and relay, is this correct?
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

MIKE :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

MIKE :

It would be correct to change the glow plugs if the diagnostic revealed them as faulty.. but the flashing light does not automatically mean you have faulty glow plugs - it can mean faulty inector /s .. faulty fuel pump - and different things.. the fault diagnostic test should have said definitively what was / is wrong.

MIKE :

If it hasn't been specifc , then its not been done properley and I would suggest you try elsewhere / have it redone before doing the glow plugs.

MIKE :

Hi there, I see you have joined me -

Customer:

Been to two garages this morning and neither could find a definitive answer to what was wrong, first said lamber sensor (not sure of spelling) second said glow plugs - not sure what to do

MIKE :

What fault codes were retrieved ?

Customer:

don't know number but first garage mentioned turbo sensor

MIKE :

ok - well thats more like it - because too - as I mentioned injectors , pump - turbos are also a problem on these - and that light will flash for that reason.. you need to find out exactly what fault codes were retrieved to progress properely with it - I take it these weren't Ford garages you used

Customer:

No they weren't ford garages but I will ring immediately and see if they have the fault codes, back in a minute

MIKE :

no problem - that is an essential / thats what you were paying for ;)

Customer:

p132a and p0304

MIKE :

ok - is that from one garage or both?

Customer:

from first garage

MIKE :

Ok - can you check with the other too..

Customer:

just trying to ring, back in a second

MIKE :

ok

Customer:

second garage said no codes came up?

MIKE :

hum ok -well the code you have points to Cyl 4 misfire --

MIKE :

what mileage does the car have?

Customer:

240,000 as use it as taxi

MIKE :

ok - how does the engine run / sound etc?

Customer:

goes well but is a bit noisy, serviced every six months

MIKE :

ok- in that case that rules a few things out... when were the injectors last calibrated?

Customer:

about a year ago

MIKE :

do you know what mileage that would be- how many miles ago..

Customer:

about 190,000

MIKE :

wow - that many miles in a year! well, these tdci injectors generally need re calibration every 80k or so - so, there is very good chance given the codes that that is whats needed.... The other code is for the turbo actuator.. this on these can be renewed without renwing the turbo - Given the mileage though - I would suggest have the injectors calibrated first..and then move on to that if its no better. It will be one or the other with those codes.

Customer:

so don't change glow plugs etc then

MIKE :

Well .. you could but there are no fault codes for them - rather , the fault codes are for the other things as above..so you could renew them if you wanted - but its not related here to what you have -

MIKE :

The cheapest / most obvious way forward on this one given all the info you have provided, is the injectors..and then go from there if necessery

Customer:

Many thanks for your help I will let you know how I get on.

MIKE :

No problem at all - Im sure you will get it sorted as above - common on these models !

MIKE :

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Feel free to re contact me using the reply button if you need to further on this subject - - Meanwhile - - Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...

MIKE :

( Please dont forget the Accept for me - Thank You )

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello again - Im sorry the CHAT system appeared to stop responding - however, we had finished...and all the info is showing above for you which you can come back to or print if you wish..

Please click the Accept for me now - thank you ... and if you do need to get back to me - you can do so thereafter by coming back to this pots and re use the reply button..

Best Rgds - MIKE..

- Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...