Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics
9261905

Ford escort: diesel..van..ive checked fuses and the battery

my ford escort 1.8 diesel van would not start this morning, everything was normal, lights on dash etc, but when i turned the key nothing happened, as if there was no battery connected, i've checked fuses and the battery is fully charged.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

MIKE :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

MIKE :

When you turn the key to the start position - exactly what happens - to the engine - and to the dash lights ?

Customer:

When i turn key the engine lights come on the dash as normal but the engine does nothing at all, it doesn't try to turn over and then the lights go off

MIKE :

right - so you turn the key to the "start" position ..at which point the lights go off?

Customer:

when the key is fully turned and won't turn any further

MIKE :

Ok, you say the battery is fully charged - how do you know that for sure?

Customer:

because everything else is working

MIKE :

Ok- thats a common error to be perfectly honest - the battery can be charged enough to light the lights - work the radio, work the wipers , sound the horn etc etc - but the starter on this 1800 diesel takes a lot more draw - around 55 amps compared to 2 or 3 for the others... Your symptoms as you described at the outset do belie a flat ot low battery... so, you need to have that checked to be sure - using jump leads from another vehilce..or fit a known good or new battery ... if the battery is more than 2-3 years old, it is suspect. But check the connections on the battery too first.just in case - but your symptoms are indeed that of a flat / low battery.. failing that , the starter motor is suspect ... battery 90 % - starter motor 10 % in these circumstances.

Customer:

but even a low battery would try and turn the engine..wouldn't it?

MIKE :

No not if its to low- as I mentioned.. What is the led doing on the dash when you try to turn the engine - the alarm / immobilser one?

MIKE :

Customer:

nothing at all

MIKE :

Have you tried your spare key?

Customer:

i'll go try

MIKE :

ok -

MIKE :

and please not exactly what the led does if it still wont start

Customer:

still nothing

MIKE :

ok did you not the led?

MIKE :

sorry - note.

Customer:

nothing

MIKE :

Ok, this is important here.. do you recall the light working before this?

Customer:

I think so

MIKE :

right - lock the van up - and watch to see if the led is flashing as it should to say its armed..

Customer:

ok

MIKE :

watch it for 1 min - to ensure it works

Customer:

it's not flashing

MIKE :

did it come ON at any point at all ?

Customer:

no

MIKE :

Okay... in that case, there is a fault with the immobilser circuit... that is more diffitcult though I can give you a pointer ...

Customer:

ok

MIKE :

On these , above the diesel injection pump is a loom of wiring with a connector on the loom - check those wires / cables there and check carefully, the connectors - especially the one in the loom. Its common for them to come loose.. so open it all up and check the connectors for corrosion / bad or broken wires etc. You said you have checked the fuses so that will rule those issues out - if you have no security led on, there is either a break in the circuit for whatever reason as above - or, the immobilser module has failed - at which point, you will need Ford plug diagnostics ( or a garage that has the equipment -a lot do ) to trace the fault dwon and rectify it - - so check the wiring carefully first..its not going to be obvious , you need to search it through.

Customer:

ok will do

MIKE :

Ok - Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

MIKE :

Please dont forget the accept for me ... and then you can come back to me at any point as need - just by using the Reply as you have been doing.

Mike, Technician
Experience: 34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics