Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 23 years

Ford focus zetec the radiator fans are not working, im loseing

the radiator fans are not working, im loseing oil somewhere and when i pull off a big cloud of smoke comes out the exhaust, can you help me
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

what colour is the smoke and I'm assuming this is a 2.0 petrol model?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

if you're burning oil ( blue smoke form exhaust ) then its possible that there's a faulty or broken piston ring so its worth doing a compression test on all cyinders as they should all be within 10-15psi of each other

If this is Ok then I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet , however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carrys oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve. If this is all OK then its possible that the valve stem seals are past their best and are drip-feeding oil into the intake. These can be replaced without removing the head by a competent garage in half a day or so