sean
sean, UK Ford Master Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Tech since 2001 & MOT tester mechanic since 1984.

Ford i have a ford transit lez 5414 just over 4 years old.

Customer Question

i have a ford transit lez 5414 just over 4 years old. the key fob when i lock all the doors, the button which operates the back door does not work. i have to press the button which open the font doors twice so that i can operate all the doors. there is a clicking noise coming from the dash and odometer goes back to zero. i can lock all the doors. with the key fob. if i leave the vehicle over the weekend i have to manually open the drivers door. statrt the engine and hope the key will work. sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt. the dealer states he cannot find a problem
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer some assistance.

When you say there is a clicking behind the dash is this when you try to start the van? Is it the trip meter that goes back to zero or the mileage as well?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Regards,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it is the trip meter that goes back to zero. the van starts ok its when i am trying to unlock the side door or the rear door. i then have to start the vehicle, to stop the noise and the numbers flashing.everything in the little window flashes. but its the trip only that goes back to zero. the button that opens the rear door does not work. the ford dealership can find the problem. their computor can not find a fault
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

can I clarify the exact fault on the van. The remote fob button doesn't work for the rear doors? The numbers in the instrument cluster flash when you first get in the van? Or flash when you press the remote fob button? Does the trip meter zero after flashing or when you drive the van?

Let me know and I'll get back to you.

Thanks,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, the button on the fob for the rear doors does not work, you have to press the top button twice, which will open all doors, the instrument cluster flash when using the fob. the trip meter zeros, when i start the van in an attempt to open the other doors.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just a note. i was thinking of getting the key fob replaced. i was told that ford had a replacement programme ref complaints. the interior lights in the front and in the rear are at time very weak. and sometimes does not light at all. whether changing the battery might help
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

Ford did have a recall for complaints of remote key fob failures but this was to specific chassis numbers, according to Ford your vehicle doesn't have this recall outstanding so if you want a new fob it would appear you would need to pay for it. As only 1 button isn't working on the fob and the rear doors unlock with the second press I suspect the fob has a fault.

Your van will have 2 batteries under the drivers seat, I would check both of these as if the front battery has failed you can end up with various electrical concerns including poor key fob battery charging. Once these are OK check for any further faults as the cluster on Transit did have a software issue with the trip meter going to zero. As I said earlier get the batteries checked especially the front one, make sure the batteries are disconnected when tested as if they are left connected you will get a false reading.

Let me know how you get on or if you require further assistance and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Regards,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have changed the batteriesto new ones,but the key fob is still not working. i will leave for a few days to see if the batteries and the fob are charging. i will then get back to you
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

you may find the key fob charges up but then if it's faulty it might not open the doors after an over night park.

Regards,

Sean.