Gallagher99
Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE

Ford Fiesta: hi, my speedometer is not working on my car and

Customer Question

hi, my speedometer is not working on my car and the screen that shows the mileage isn't working properly. Also the mileage hasn't changed although I have driven it. I took it to Ford and they said after charging me over £200 that it's the ABS module that needs changing, is this possible? I want to be sure as they want £850 to do it, I always thought ABS was to do with the breaks. I would really appreciate the help as I am a new driver with no idea.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer, when your speedo stopped working did you have ------ on the displlay were the mileage should have been

regards brian

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well it was bought for me like that so I don't know but that is what is on the screen at the moment, it shows the mileage every now and then when I 1st start the car.

Hi thereCustomer, Ok the fault will lie with the ABS module

( common on the fiesta/fusion )

The ABS module receives the vehicle speed via 4 wheel speed sensors

it then calculates the speed and sends it via the CAN ( controller area network ) bus to the instrument cluster and PCM

it also calculates the mileage, trip etc,,

what has happened is the ABS module has suffered an internal fault thus losing communications with the instrument cluster ,

The ABS module is around £350 from what i can remember but you can pick second hand one up for around £50

the job takes around 2-3 hours to do and is pretty straight forward to do

i dont understand why you have been charged £200 + for them to just diagnose the ABS module as faulty as it should take no more than 1 hours labour to fully diagnose this module as faulty

and £ 850 seems a bit expensive as you have already paid £200 + and the job only takes 2-3 hours

i would ask for some discount on that price

( my dealership charges £60 +vat per hours labour )

if you need anymore advice on this issue please let me know

if you are completley satisfied with my answer Please CLICK ACCEPT

Kind regards in advance Brian

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So when I do get it fixed will the mileage rectify itself or start from where it is now because it has been driven since not working properly. I found 1 online and it was £109 including vat and delivery, where is your work based as I would be interested in bringing it in. Ford actually told me they were doing a diagnostic for £65 then when I went to pick it up slapped me with that bill and I stupidly allowed myself to be bullied into paying it by there technical lingo, do you think I should complain. Thank you very much for that answer by the way it was very helpful.

Hi thereCustomer, Ok the mileage will reappear as normal the the instrument cluster holds this information as well , i have never really monitored the mileage on a faulty vehicle as we just diagnose and fit the new module

The £ 65 per hour they were going to charge you should be enough for any decent technician to diagnose the ABS module ,

They should have contacted you about anything out with this hours labour for authority

i can diagnose these in around 20- 30 mins as i have had a good bit of experience with this issue ,

i think you should mabye query why and what you have been charged for especially as they want another £850 off you

if you need anymore help or advice on this please let me know

if you are completley satisfied witth my advice/answer please CLICK ACCEPT

Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX Brian

my dealership is in scotland

Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi I've been ringing around asking about getting this abs module changed and they keep saying something about getting the module programmed by Ford. Was wondering if you knew anything about this.

Hi there sevsie , Ok yes you should have the module programmed by fords IDS laptop after it is fitted

this is so the module is VIN coded to the vehicle

thisd is the case with everymodule that is replaced

regards Brian

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you know roughly how much that would cost?

Hi there sevsie 666 , Ok ford would charge 1 hours labour for this procedure

but if memory serves me correctly on your year of vehicle Fords IDS laptop doesnt give the option to programme it ,

as there are that many varients of vehicle/modules

i would say you dont need to programme the New ABS module and it will still work perfectly

regards brian