Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics
9261905

Ford Escort ford escort van 55 wont start. new battery installed,

Customer Question

ford escort van 55 wont start. new battery installed, lights come on, no turn over, no click?
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

MIKE :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

MIKE :

Can you tell me exactly what you have done / checked so far >?

Customer :

after being laid up for 1 week, I reattached the fully charged battery. I turned on ignition, all lights came on (ie engine heat etc) went to turn engine over and then nothing, no click, nothing.

MIKE :

Ok.. what have you checked exactly since this happened?

Customer :

I have checked all fuses and obvious connections under the bonnet

MIKE :

Ok.. the usual problem here is , either, a small wire that goes to the battery terminal missing / not been connected..or - a faulty connection on the terminals.. so , just have a good look around to see if youhave left a small wire off - with a ring connector on it. If its not that - you need to double check the charge in the battery... there have been many cases of "flat" - new - batteries... If its not that - then the starter motor is suspect.

Customer :

ok, I'll check that.

MIKE :

What I suggest you do is check the connections on the starter motor as well.. and power it - with jump leads...

MIKE :

Make sure you "Jump" the small terminal on the starter- bridged with the large one. If it clicks - its the starter at fault... I suspect it will be to be honest --

MIKE :

Im sure that will get you going... but if you need any more help , you can just come back to this post - use the reply button and get back to me.. Meantime - please dont forget the Accept button for me as you log out - Thank you.. Best Rgds - MIKE...

Customer :

have tried what you have said, and tried to jump start with leads onto battery. Still the same result.

MIKE :

Hello again... I said to use the jump leads to the starter terminals - If you recal . If you have done that ...as opposed to just a jump start to the battery - that then as mentioned, indicates a faulty starter motor - but do just check the main earths... especially from the battery to the body - and the body to the transmission first and then go from there...

MIKE :

If the wiring / earths are ok - the starter is suspect - it should then be removed and tested.