Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 23 years

Ford: started making..rattling noise..low speeds when accellerating

My ford mondeo has started making a rattling noise when accellerating from cold and at low speeds when accellerating, any ideas

which engine type is fitted ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is aTDCI Ghia X 2L manual

I'd first try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys.
Examine carefully the condition of the bottom / crank pulley as these are composite construction with a rubber element and its possible this rubber is breaking up and allowing the two metal portions to move.

Another possibility is the variable valve timing system as this does rely on oil pressure to correctly syncronise your vvti pulley on the end of the camshaft. If the valve has become blocked up then its possible the pulley is rattling about and producing the noise.

If all of this is OK then its possible the issue is with the dual mass flywheel on the other end of the engine, these are constructed in the same way I mentioned for the front pulley but are more prone to problems due to greater heat and larger forces.

If your gearstick is rattling this is another pointer to this being the problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this likely to be dangerous to drive as it is, Is is likely to be a costly repair

well that rather depends on what it is, a wobbly pulley is a cheap and easy fix whereas a replacement flywheel needs to have the gearbox off so is a couple of days labour plus the parts at a few hundred pounds

take a look at the belts with the engine running - if the noise seems to be coming from here its probably a pulley and I'd recommend changing it quite soon as if this throws the belt off you'll have no water pump and cook the engine

if the flywheel is going then this can be driven for a fair while with it rattling with no issues