Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics
9261905

ford: automatic..shudder under bonnet when pulling away,eases

04 ford fusion automatic severe shudder under bonnet when pulling away,eases of after a while,hope you can help
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

MIKE :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

MIKE :

What mileage does the car have - and does the car drive better when its warmed up ?

Customer:

Hi Mike. mileage 48000 yes it does drive better once warmed.

Customer:

Hi Mike,mileage 48000 yes it does drive better once warmed up

Mike, Technician
Experience: 34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply..

I have switched us out of CHAT because it wasn't responding..

Ok...there's two things here... This could either be a simple sensor fault - or a fault with auto transmission...

It may make sensor to have the vehicle tested diagnostically - but the sensor I have in mind often doesn't show up as faulty on a diagnostic test - so be aware of that...

The sensor I feel that is worth attention here ( replacing ) is the ECT sensor.. This is the engine coolant sensor - not the one the controls the gauge - but the one that sends signals to the cars Ecu.. main computer - re. the temperature of the engine.

The Ecu then sends commands to the fueling and ignition systems according. If the sensor is faulty and thus sends incorrect , or no info to the ecu as above, the fuel and air mixture will be incorrect and thus do as you describe resulting in poor running and no start situations...

If you remember the old auto and manual choke systems...it works like that , only electronically. If and when the choke was in the wrong position for the temp of the engine, the engine either wouldn't start or coughed and spluttered.causing juddering etc especially when cold and either way , temp related...

So, without the aid of plug in diagnostics at the moment and the results thereof - its well worth renewing that sensor. Its located on the right hand side of the cylinder head depending on model and has a multi wires pin connector going to it.

Always buy one from a dealer / genuine unit. If you are unsure as to its position - ask the parts dept; when you are in there, to show you on the screen where it is located ....

It struck me that Im dont know whether you have a petrol or diesel version - they do both in the 1.4 size.. Either way, the ECY sensor situation applies - but there is a known issue as well with the petrol versions - with faulty spark plugs..and ign coil faults....causing juddering etc..So if yours is a petrol - thats a consideration --

After that - the fault would be with the transmission - torque converter usually...but, work through as above ..Obviously you need to have the proper checks done first and if you work through as above, I have listed the more known faults in the appropriate order - though if it is the petrol version, it would be worth replacing the spark plugs first - before the sensor - and also, check the ignition coil carefully for cracks - a common fault.

So work through as above and Im sure you will get to the bottom of this...

I Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - but do ask me if you need anything more..

Kind Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.