Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics
9261905

HOW DO YOU REPLACE A FAN BELT ON A FORD KA - S reg. It has

HOW DO YOU REPLACE A FAN BELT ON A FORD KA - S reg. It has 5

O O
o
0 o

cogs/wheels are as above middle one is smooth how does belt go round these?
Chat Conversation Started
MIKE :

Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

MIKE :

I dont know if you have taken the old one and not noticed - but when the belt is in place.. on some pulleys - the ribbed side of the belt runs on those - on others - it runs on the back of the belt - so you will have a mix of both..

MIKE :

Hi... I will give you a pic of the routing of the belt if that will help you...

JACUSTOMER-vtropk1i- :

The belt came off so we couldn't see how it was supposed to go on around the cogs- a picture would be good. Thanks

MIKE :

Ok... give me a min... to upload that for you...

MIKE :

that shows your version - with air con ( AC) pulley / unit.

MIKE :

Is that ok for you ?

JACUSTOMER-vtropk1i- :

i have the 4 cogs and the tensioner but also have another wheel smooth finish which needs the belt to go round or i have tto much excess belt.

MIKE :

ok - is that diagram as above - exactly what you have ... ie, the amount of pulleys - or do you have more..?

JACUSTOMER-vtropk1i- :

if you imagine a clock face i hace cog at 10 and 2 and at 7 and 4 between the 10 and 2 is a smooth face wheel and between the 7 and 2 is what i think is the tensioner tightner thingy.

JACUSTOMER-vtropk1i- :

there is no air con on my model

MIKE :

Give me a min or two then..

MIKE :

In the pic above , the one marked " T " is the tensioner... dont worry about the AC ..if you dont have that - you just ignore it / take it out of the equation..

MIKE :

does our car have power steering?

JACUSTOMER-vtropk1i- :

yes it does have power steering so will i run belt over the smooth cog between the 10 and 2 cogs

MIKE :

Yes, ignore the ac one.. There are two other configurations...for different versions of the KA... I will send you the pics now.. one is the same as you have just had... and there are 2 more... give me a min to upload thjem for you..

MIKE :

ok... here they come...

Full Size Image

MIKE :

One of those should be the one you have...

MIKE :

Is that ok for you now..?

JACUSTOMER-vtropk1i- :

i am off to try it,the one with six cogs looks correct.

JACUSTOMER-vtropk1i- :

so is it just twiidle with tensioner to fit how does that work?

MIKE :

Ok.. there are two types of tensioner..

JACUSTOMER-vtropk1i- :

this is a greta service you provide and i am gonna send your website to friends.

MIKE :

manual and auto..

MIKE :

If yours has no means of adjusting that you can see.... and it has just a nut in the middle of it - thats an auto one...

MIKE :

(thank you for the compliment! )...

MIKE :

if its that type... you fit a spanner to that centre nut and press hard so that the tensioner - the whole things moves away from the belt run...

JACUSTOMER-vtropk1i- :

fingers crossed. am having to put spanner on the nut in the middle. should it move only up and down?

MIKE :

Its a large spring inside so it takes a lot of pressure on the spanner - be careful it doesn't slip off !

MIKE :

Then - you need to hold it there - under pressure.. while you fit the belt -- you may need a hand...a helper - be careful of your fingers..

MIKE :

Then when the belt is in place...let the pressure off the spanner / tensioner..slow so it comes up against the belt - and thats the job done..

MIKE :

If its a "manual" adjuster.. you will see how to do it.. just a case of slacking the adjuster bolt / slider - fitting the belt and then tightening it all up - but Im sure yours is an auto one as above to be honest..

MIKE :

... I just double checked for you ... Yours should definatley be the auto adjust with the bolt in the centre of the pulley..

MIKE :

Fit your spanner - and rotate it "clockwise".... to allow for fitting the belt.

JACUSTOMER-vtropk1i- :

here goes thanks. i wii let you know how it goes

MIKE :

No problem... one more tip.. Some people find it easier to remove the headlamp for more access...but see how you go.. I have one more pic for you too...

MIKE :

There you go.. All should go fine for you now. I have to logoff now.. Please dont forget the Accept button for me so that I get credited for helping you...and if you should need to get back to me later - just come back - use the Reply button..and when I come on again later today, I will get your reply and respond... All the very best with it.. Kind Rgds, MIKE..