neil, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  started as appentice electrician , now specialise in transit

focus: is a 1.8 petrol engine 2002the fan operated..dash..blast..fuses

my focus is a 1.8 petrol engine 2002
the fan operated from the dash is not working at all in positions 1, 2 or 3 but position 4 is a strong blast of air. would the problem be fuses?

Hi there welcome to just answer hope i can be of some assistance to your problem

Ok then this was a common problem on the old focus and is caused by the heater resistor assy which is located in the heated box unit.

Now the reason you loose the first three speeds is because the first three speeds go through the a resistor unit to reduce the voltage to the motor to make it go slower but on speed four it is a direct feed to the motor.

The resistor unit is an easy job to change and is locate behind the glove box and is held into the heater box by one screw as in the picture below. so if you wanted to change it your self then it can be easily done.

Some times it is possible that the wires into the heater resistor may have melted, now if they have it is not the end of the world as a repair kit is available to buy to fix it.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Hope this is ok for you if you require any further information then please ask

Kind Regards

Edited by neil on 9/11/2010 at 3:38 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Located the bit thanks to your diagram and explanation. Many thanks to you.

I am glad to hear my information has help you please ask if you ever require any further help

Kind Regards