Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Ford focus: malfunction..the dashboard and i cant get a gear

hi i have a ford focus and transmission malfunction has come up on the dashboard and i cant get a gear
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

Is the transmission full automatic or one the new dual clutch types?

What model is the car and how many miles are on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
automatic
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the fill plug on the side if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the connections to the solenoids on the top or side of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Often - just doing the above cures many troubles with these - and you certainly can't condemn the unit without doing the above...

So do that and go from there. If you do still have troubles after that - then the next best move is to let a local Auto Transmission Specialist have a look at it -- they can often repair the unit considerably cheaper than replacement..

Use yell.com to locate such a place if needed...

One other thing to check is that your car has the latest calibration / map loaded into it as this often can cure issues like this
Matt, Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years