Gavin, Car Technician and MOT tester
Experience:  BTEC / NVQ 3 , MOT tester and attended various other courses

I have a Ford KA old make the problem is with the clutch,it

I have a Ford KA old make the problem is with the clutch,it moves down on gentle resting of foot and it will not let me get geers.

Sounds like you have a clutch fluid leak or a faulty seal in the clutch master cylinder. You need to check the fluid level which uses the same reservoir as the brake fluid. Also check underneath for any fluid leaks. It will more than likely be leaking from the slave cylinder which will require the gearbox to be removed to be replaced.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the answer

but the system is not hydraulic,unless the clutch is worked of the same fill up point as the breaks. could it be the pressure plate?

The fluid is filled up by the break reservoir. I haven't seen one that isn't hydraulic, but it could be possible for a very early model to be cable operated. Would be very unlikely the pressure plate would let the pedal creep.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your help

Last question : this KA is a P reg registration and if it has a slave cylinder, how do we get to it from the top or bottom of the car.?

If it is hydraulic then it will have a pipe that goes into the gearbox if not then it will have a cable on the top of the gearbox. The slave cylinder is in the gearbox, so the only way to get to it is to remove the gearbox. If the slave cylinder is leaking then the fluid normally drips out where the engine meets the gearbox underneath. Maybe worth pumping the pedal a few times then looking underneath.