Mike, Technician
Experience:  34 years experience of motor vehicle diagnostics

Ford: the ESP warning light would come..malfunction..turbo..hill

Hi - I have a one year old Ford S-Max 2.0 diesel. Soon after one year service, the ESP warning light would come on and 'engine malfunction' would appear on the computer. The turbo would not work and it crawled up hill but the probelm disappeared on restarting the engine. This happened 3 times in 2 weeks or so but now the engine warning light has appeared on the dashboard so taking it in to the garage tomorrow.

Any ideas what this could be?

Roy, Aberdeen
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

The ESP light / indicator is for the Electronic Stability Program.

Typically, the light coming on when it shouldn't , usually indicates one or more of the ABS sensors faulty...or the ABS module itself. There have been some problems with these on the C max.

The EML - engine management light, being on - is to do with the management system- - it could be a knock on from the Esp system - but at this point, its pretty difficult to tell.

It does need connection to the Ford IDS machine - and that will trace the faults for you and they will fix them from there based on the results of that..

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have helped you - Please ask me if you need anything else.

Best Rgds, MIKE

• >>>>>>>>>Please don't forget ....Please press the ACCEPT button if you are happy with my answer/advice given - as that's how I get paid for my time, knowledge and expertise given. Thank you.

Feedback and any Bonuses are always appreciated too. Thank you.