sean, UK Ford Master Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Tech since 2001 & MOT tester mechanic since 1984.

Cannot open the boot to my StreetKa. Pull a cord that I think

Customer Question

Cannot open the boot to my StreetKa. Pull a cord that I think has something to do with taking the roof off, now cannot open the boot with the button on the key and acnnot see another way of opening it.

Can you help

Category: UK Ford
Expert:  sean replied 6 years ago.

where was the cord/switch you pulled?

Did it have a picture on or near it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No picture. It was at the back of the boot in the middle,a red ring attached to a cord. When open boot button on key is pressed in causes a "ping" but no warning lights, this also happens when ignition is switched on but this stops after about 5 seconds.
Expert:  sean replied 6 years ago.

can you lock the car with the remote? Does the alarm keep going when locked with the remote.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes can lock the car with remote, everything seems to work normally just cannot open the boot. the beep is more a warning sound rather than an alarm. Could I have started the operation to take the roof off? If yes can I reset from within the car?
Expert:  sean replied 6 years ago.

you may have released the lid for the soft top stowage compartment,this has catches on both sides of the lid. Once one of these catches opens it disables the boot release because if you open the roof stowage lid and then were able to open the boot lid the two can collide causing body damage.

You should be able to push down on each side of the roof stowage lid from inside the car to latch the lid back in,I don't think you can do this from outside as you cannot get above the position of the latches,remember there is a latch on both sides of the car.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Sean that seems to be the problem have taken your advice and the boot has opened. Unfortunately once closed again will not reopen, have tried pushing the catches at either side (seat height on the left and right) backwards, forwards, upwards and downwards and the boot only opens occassionally and never reopens when closed unless I push the catches again and then not everytime. What am I doing wrong?

Expert:  sean replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunatley I think you are going to have to remove the hard top to investigate further.

The catches or switches may not be secure enough and are moving or it may be that when you push on the lid the switches are activating but the catch is not closed so when you shut the boot lid the roof stowage lid moves again. From what you have said it certainly appears to be the roof stowage lid switches or catches.I know from experience that the stowage lid can be awkward to secure even when you are just using the soft top.

Edited by sean on 3/23/2010 at 6:11 AM EST
Expert:  sean replied 6 years ago.

just a bit more information for you. In the car between the seats under the light there is a lockable stowage box inside this is another lock if you turn this it should release the boot lid mechanically.