geoffsnake, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  15 years motor trade, mot tester, mazda senior tech, ford tech, Nvq level 3

Help with Focus bonnet release please! The key turns and the

Customer Question

Help with Focus bonnet release please!
The key turns and the cable appears to turn. Is there an emergency release or how do you get at the actual bonnet catch (well hidden)
Thanks for any help
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hi there hoep i can be of assistance.

I would strongly recommend letting a Ford dealer do this as the barrel has failed and to open the bonnet it takes a few fiddly techniques. It involves loosening the front grill and drilling into the lock barrel to free it. This is the quickest way without causing damage to the bumper/grill or latch assembly.

There is no emergency release on thsi bonnet catch system.

If you need any further assistance, please ask, thanks Bob

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't think the lock has failed as it turns the "cable" behind the lock.

The catch that actually holds the bonnet down is the bit that has failed, I believe.

The local Ford dealer has gone bust and the nearest working Ford dealer is a long way away!

On various posts there are hints (but only hints) on how to release two 10mm bolts on each side of the bonnet catch, then pull catch away and voila bonnet open????
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Does the bonnet lift up but sticks on the safety catch or not come up at all?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Stuck tight shut.

It wouldn't open some months ago but the "shove down" trick released it to the nearly open position.

I found a hint that the bonnet catch, when removed contains a white plastic rod that can easily break. I can't believe that I am the only one with this problem as the design is distinctly dodgy!
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Your certainly not the only one with this fault, the design is awful!

Ok iv never done this job where the bonnet catch is stuck hard shut, so ill opt out and another expert will be along shortly to advise.

Thanks Bob

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Otherwise tell me where I can hire a mechanic with six foot long double jointed arms and spare arms to hold inspection lamp and mirror as well!
Expert:  geoffsnake replied 6 years ago.
Hello, yes your correct, however on the diesels im pretty certain you cannot get to the 2 bolts, on the petrols its bad enough(not sure what you have as you just put 1600 on your post), never attempted it on the floor as we have ramps obviously but it is possible. The only other option is to cut around the grille and remove this, then you can remove the barrel and turn the lock mechanism manually, btw it is the rod that normally breaks. Normally you end up having to put a new grill, barrel assembly, as the rod etc comes with this. You can use the old barrel as the new barrel is a guessing game to build it up!. I do recommend taking it to a dealer aswell simply because you will get the repair under warrenty if its a 07 plate.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am having difficulty accepting that this correspondence is worth £11.

As stated, the local Ford dealer is bankrupt and closed. It is about a 100 mile round trip to the nearest dealer and it means spending at least a day waiting for the car to be fixed. With the parts situation here it is unlikely to be finished in a day.

The local mechanic is happy to do the job. I am happy to pay him to do the job. Neither of us can see the trick, even putting the car on the lift and trying to figure out how Ford intended to overcome the simple scenario of the bonnet catch breaking or jamming.

There has to be a recognised workshop procedure for this.

I could figure out that a Ford dealer is bound to have the answer, or can get it, without paying for "advice" that is freely available.
Their is no workshop procedure for this job, and ford did not provide any mechanism to open the bonnet if the catch failed. If you cannot get to the 2 bolts then the only way in is to cut the grill and access it that way like i said in the above post. Sorry thier is no easy solution without breaking something to gain access.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yesterday a Ford mechanic did the job in 15 minutes without special tools, barking his knuckles or swearing. I had a 75 mile trip.

This was not rocket science.

I honestly do not believe that your answers were worth anything at all.