Gallagher99
Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE

Ford: remote key key/fob and today it..wont work..doors

i have got a ford puma, with remote key key/fob and today it decided the remote would not work, i put a new battery in the fob and it still wont work, but i can still use the key to lock/unlock the doors......
please can you help with what the problem might be?? will i need a new key fob???
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 4 years ago.

Hi there taz , Ok did the remote fob work then just stop working , is this a 2 button or three button remote fob

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HiyaCustomer

sorry for the delay, computer is on a "go-slow"

anyway, ever since i got the car (sept 09) the fob has been sluggish, but put a new battery in and it seemed to get better, then yesterday it went exceptionally slow, but it still opened the boot with the remote quite easily.

Then sods law today when it was tipping down with rain, it decided it wouldnt work at all, not even to open the boot, so put a new battery in it, but no change.

It is a 3 button remote.

thanks

Tazmaz

Hi there tazmaz, n,,o worries Ok i suspect the remote fob itself is faulty eg,, internal corrosion of the circuit board etc,,

but before going and buying a new remote fob ,, try and re-programme the old remote here is the instructions for re-programming the remote key fob

Remote Transmitter Programming - vehicles with infra red keyless entry

Focus 1999, Fiesta 1996, Mondeo 1997 and Puma 1998 only

• NOTE: A maximum of four remote transmitters can be programmed to the vehicle. Programming must be done at the same time for all the remote transmitters.
  • NOTE: Before entering the remote transmitter programming mode, make sure that the vehicle battery is fully charged and that the anti-theft system is not armed or triggered (if equipped).

1. Turn the ignition switch from position 0 to position I.

2. Wait until the passive anti-theft system (PATS) LED is continuously ON

3. Turn the ignition switch to position 0.

4. Within 5 seconds of the previous step, hold the key in the direction of the infrared receiver then press and hold the unlock button on the remote transmitter.

5. When the LED in the key starts flashing, press the lock button three times.

6. Release both buttons and observe that the PATS LED and the key LED flash 5 times.

7. After each successful remote transmitter programming, another 20 second programming mode is automatically entered, up to a maximum of four times.

8. To program additional remote transmitters, repeat the procedure from step 4 with each additional remote transmitter.

9. The system will exit the programming mode if the ignition switch is turned to position II, no new remote transmitter is programmed during the 20 seconds or if four remote transmitters have been programmed.

10. NOTE: An incorrect programming procedure does not affect the stored codes.

11. Test all the programmed remote transmitters, by activating and deactivating the remote locking and unlocking functions.

if there is still no joy you will need a new remote fob , again use this procedure to code in the remote fob central locking .,

i wiill also give you a tip to save you paying ford 1 hours labour , swap the immbilisor chip from your old one to the new one , its the little glass tube inside the fob ( you will see it when you open the fob up , carefully ease it out with a little screwdriver and replace it ,

if you need any mor help on this please let me know

kind regards brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

many thanks for that info brian,

will try the instructions you have given me, thankfully i can still lock/unlock the car with key part.

where abouts on the puma is the infared receiver???

Also if the remote part still does not work, how much will a new key/fob cost me???

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

.......also i have noticed that it says in the instructions "when the LED in the key starts flashing"

I have never noticed that it has a flashing LED........

so how will i know when to press the lock button???

sorry to be a pain....

thanks for all your help.

Sandy

Hi there taz , the remote fob is around 35 pounds from ford,,

the remote receiver is located above the interoir light but varys on models as later models use the gem module but these are rarely at fault.

If you are completely satisfied with my answer please click accept.

If you need any more advice or help on this fault, please let me know.

Kind Regards

Brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hiya brian,

thanks for that,

i dont know if you got the follow on question that i sent, but it says in the instructions that when the key LED light starts to flash.....

i have never noticed an LED light on the keyfob so how will i know when to press the lock button???

sorry to be a complete pain....

Sandy

No worries mate , sorry i have gave you the information for the earlier model

follow this procedure

Remote Transmitter Programming - vehicles with radio frequency keyless entry

Focus 1999, Cougar 1999, Fiesta 1996, Mondeo 1997 and Puma 1998 only

1. Close all doors to make sure conflicting chimes do not sound during programming.

2. Turn the ignition switch from position I to position II four times within six seconds.

4. A chime sounds and an LED in the instrument panel will illuminate to indicate that the learning mode has been accessed and it is possible to program remote transmitters.

5. Within 10 seconds of the previous step, press any button on the remote transmitter being programmed until a chime is heard and the LED flashes. This indicates a new transmitter code has been successfully received.

6. After each successful remote transmitter programming, another 10 second learning mode is automatically entered, up to a maximum of four times.

7. To program additional remote transmitters, repeat step 5.

8. The system will exit the learning mode if the ignition switch is turned to position III, no new remote transmitter is programmed during the 10 seconds or if four remote transmitters have been programmed.

9. NOTE: An incorrect programming procedure does not affect the stored codes.

10. Test all the programmed remote transmitters, by activating and deactivating the remote locking and unlocking functions.

sorry about that

regards brian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok thanks for that, i will try it, but am still a little concerned as it mentions LEDs flashing???

is that on the key or the light next to the clock???

if it is on the key, i have never noticed an LED on my key......

am really really sorry to be a pain, but dont want to muck anything up.....

many thanks

Sandy

hi sandy , the older keys ( 2 button ) have an led on the key , yours is the new style key ( 3 button) the led next to the clock is the one you need to use to code your fob in, you should hear a chime and this lets youknow that the vehicle is in teach mode

regrds brian

Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE