Bob
Bob, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  ATA Tech, Ford Tech,6 Years with Ford, 4 years with MG Rover
19517166

Ford: Ghia..headlight failed i have changed the bulb..bearing

Ford Mondeo Ghia X 2003 - neardside dipped headlight failed i have changed the bulb but still does not light. All other lights working normally any ideas please. Only thing that may have bearing nearside sidlight appears slightly dimmer than offside.
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Bob replied 4 years ago.

Hi there hope i can be of assistance.

Sounds like you have covered the basics. Just to confirm, have you checked the fuse box in the passenger footwell?

Thanks Bob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I did take that one out and there appears to be only one fuse there that controls the headlights, i did take it out and it appears to be intact at the moment. Whereas there were two seperate ones in the other box in the engine compartment
Expert:  Bob replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the quick response.

Ok so we are happy with the fuses, its unlikely to be the switch, as the offside is working ok.

So now we need to check how much voltage is getting to the bulb.

Do you have access to a multimeter?

Bob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately no. The headlight was working normally last week and just noticed that it had failed this morning
Expert:  Bob replied 4 years ago.

Ok not to worry.

A headlamp failure is easily diagnosed. It should take the mechanic literally seconds to find out which part of the circuit has failed.

This involves checking the bulb itself, making sure it is housed correctly. Then with a multimeter checking the voltage at the bulb, the voltage on the positive side, and the voltage on the negative side.

By doing this they will be able to determin which side of the side of the circuit has failed and then carry out the necassary repair.

As i said above its unlikely to be the switch as the offside lamp works ok, i would suspect a broken wire or dirty/damaged earth connections local to the headlamp assembly. Or it could be a poor connection on the multiplug that attaches to the bulb.

if you need any further assistance, please ask, cheers Bob

Bob, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience: ATA Tech, Ford Tech,6 Years with Ford, 4 years with MG Rover