Robert, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  Fully trained 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK

2003 Fiesta: squealing kind..We looked under the belt

Customer Question

Hi, My 2003 Fiesta Flame is making a squealing kind of sound. We looked under the bonnet and it seems to be the fan belt. Is this an expensive thing to replace, and is it a time consuming job? It's just started getting worse and we're driving from York to Devon for a camping holiday next weekend, and I'm not sure if I can get time off work to take it in to be looked at. Is it safe to drive that kind of distance if it isn't repaired first? Thanks
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

What engine size is the car?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

With that engine type there are two types one with Power steering and one without. the differance being one has two belts (power steering) the other only one belt.If left then the belt could slip off the pulleys and cause problems with the auxiallary components ie: alternator/Power steering etc. Typically to change these you would be only looking at around an hour max then the price of the belt(s) on top.
The best thing to do any way is to have it checked out and replaced if required or re-tensioned depending on the condition of the belt.but i'm sure if time is an issue and wether your local garage does this or not? then you can always look up a "reputable" Mobile Mechanic Service who maybe local in your yellow pages who might carry out the repair/check at home or workplace?