Bill, Technician
Experience:  City & Guilds

Ford Transit W 988 YOC How do I access the heater matrix as

Customer Question

Ford Transit W 988 YOC
How do I access the heater matrix as there is a water leak which seems to be coming from behind the bulkhead
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Bill replied 7 years ago.

Good afternoon, I hope I can help you.

Heater Core Housing - Vehicles Without: Air Conditioning (343540)

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to «Section 414-01».

2. Drain the cooling system. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-03».

µ 3. Disconnect the coolant hoses and the vacuum hoses from the heater core.

4. Remove the instrument panel. For additional information, refer to «Section 501-12».

µ 5. Remove the lower heater core housing cover.

l Remove three clips each side.

µ 6. Disconnect the air ducts from the heater core housing.

µ 7. Remove the heater core housing.

l Disconnect the electrical connectors.

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX if you need further help, just ask.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hello Bill,

at the very best your answer is extremely basic and makes reference to three section parts, what's the point in not including them with pdf diagrams if necessary. I expected a full and complete answer. Plus you are identified as a "Ford" mechanic, not a mechanic who knows something about Ford vehicles, albeit from a manual that will have taken you seconds to look up the above answer.

Also as a City and Guilds trained mechanic I would have hoped for more of a pointer in the right direction if necessary

Through no fault of your own this reply took 3hrs 27 mins and 25secs to reach me. I work in construction but have absolutely no knowledge or interest in vehicle mechanics but in that time I managed to get my hand behind the engine block and followed the hose until my finger sensed a hole. It was then a matter of purchasing about 1.5 metres of heater hose and two jubilee clips. The job was done before you replied.

Unfortunately I was led to believe that the problem was behind the bulkhead. It wasn't but if your answer and assistance had been genuinely complete instead the absolute minimum I would have still paid you. I work very hard for my money and I don't believe you gave the necessary value in your reply so this time I cannot press "Accept", sorry.

Expert:  Bill replied 7 years ago.

For your information in 2007 I was 13th in the UK in a national competition for mechanics for electronic diagnostics, aircon systems and auto gearboxes in an entry field of over 5000.

In 1992 I won the top technician award in the uk for vauxhall vehicles. In 1997 I was in the top 500 worldwide in BMW techician competition.

I have worked for Jaguar, Rover, Ford, Citroen, BMW, Volvo, Vauxhall and have attended many courses and have alsways passed exams with distinction awards.

I have been in the trade for over 30 years and have been self employed running my own business for 10 years.

Two of the sections you talked about were for removing the earth cable from the battery and for draining the cooling system. Hardly rocket science.

The third involved removing the instrument cluster which involves removing about 4 screws.

I have no idea when you asked the question about you level of skill which obviously wasnt high. If you had said you new absolutely nothing about cars, I would have included the diagram for the dash. Most people on here have some knowledge or are able to to basic tasks.

You couldn't even get the description of the fault right and where the leak was. I answered your question correctly as it was asked.

I also work hard for my money and also have to go through constant update training as systems and technology evolves and this isn't cheap.

The information sysems I use cost a lot of money that comes out my pocket. The experts at justanswer are not employed by the website. We are all independant technicians trying to make a bit extra for ourselves.

You will also note that this is a PAY site. Even though you are unwilling to ACCEPT my answer so that I get paid, your credit/debit card will have been debited when you paid your deposit.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for that, more than ever I still think that you provided extremely limited information. You didn't even write it yourself and simply copied a section right out of the manual, as you say it's hardly rocket science. I was expecting an answer from a mechanic that's been there and done it (you) not a series of directions to parts of a manual that I do not have.

As you say we all have to make a living and because you took the time to answer I'll pay the fee but when you spend it I hope it pricks your conscience a little and the next time you answer a question from someone else put a little of yourself and your experience into it.

For myself it's once bitten twice shy, I came across what looked like a good idea but anyone could provide the information that you gave providing they purchase the online manuals, I thought I was purchasing job knowledge and experience of the problem, you have to admit that was not contained in your answer.

Expert:  Bill replied 7 years ago.
<p>The easiest way to describe it is to give it to you from the manual. .</p><p> </p><p>Cheers.</p>