Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 23 years

Ford focus: reg..stalling..the coolant temp gauge went..petrol..jump

Hi, I have 57 reg ford focus. After stalling yesterday on restarting the coolant temp gauge went straight up to maximum and stayed there and the petrol gauge seemed to jump & read higher by 1/4 tank. I have arrange for it to be checked by Ford garage day after tomorrow as after 5 min journey today coolant gauge had returned to max reading. I have checked coolant level and this appears to be just about on minimum. Someone has advised me that this can be just topped up with some water for now - is it ok to do this or can I leave till ford check it for me the day after tomorrow. The car will only be making two short journeys before it is serviced (under 10 miles each). Thanks
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 7 years ago.

Its fine to just top up with tap water especially in the summer. However from your post I'd say the fault is more likely to be an electrical glitch rather than a cooling issue.

When you take it in to Ford higlight the fact that both gauges moved after stalling