Gallagher99
Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

how can i reprogram my car key

Customer Question

how can i reprogram my car key
Category: UK Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 5 years ago.

Hi there gjon 2009, whar type vehicle do you have ,

is it the remote fob you want to programme ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi there.

i have a ford focus and my fob key is not working.it was ok when i bought it but then stop working.did change the battery but still not working.i went to Thomsons key cut and they told me i need to reprograme it.if you could tell me how and where i can do that please?

thank you

Gjon

Hi there gjon, Ok to re-programme the remote key fob follow these instructions

1 , put key in ignition at off position

2 , cycle the key from off to ignition 4 times within 10 seconds

3 , you will hear a chime noise ( this indicates vehicle is in teach mode)

4 , Once you hear the chime , press and hold any button on the remote fob , you will hear another chime ( this will indicate that remote fob was successfully programmed)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi Gallagher99

i managed to hear that chime from my car and did press and hold one of buttons of the fob but nothing happent.any other ideas please mate.

thank you

Gjon

Hi there Gjon , Ok if you heard the chime that means the system is going into teach mode ,, as long as the battery inside the key is ok should be above 3.06 volts

try doing this procedure again as it takes me a few trys sometimes

sometimes if you press it too quick etc.. need any more help let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi Gallagher.

sorry i didnt get back to you sooner.

i tryed today again but still the same.battery is brand new 3 volts.so i just dont understand what its wrong . i will pay you off anyway no matter what.

thanks

Gjon

Hi there Gjon, No worries mate ,, if you can hear the chime this indicates that the system works and is going in to Teach mode, if the battery is ok the only thing left is the fob itself,

This may have corrosion on the chipboard or just failed internally

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi there.

last question.

where can i get it fixed or maybe new fob.

thank you

Hi there gjon, if the fault is internal , the fob is rendered unuseable,

you can buy a new fob from your local ford parts department , i think there around 30 -40 pounds , if you do buy a new fob the pats (immobiliser chip inside the fob would need coded in ) But i will let you in on a little secret which will save you having to pay an hours labour, you can swap the chips over your self ,

What to do is open up your old fob and you will see a little glass cylinder This is the imobiliser chip ( you can only see the end of it ) you need to carefully ease this out of the fob with a small screwdriver and swap it into your new fob.. job done

Gallagher99, FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks for your help mate.

Gjon