Trev, UK Ford Car Mechanic
Experience:  NVQ 3, Modern Apprenticeship, MOT Tester, 15+ years experience diagnostic technician

Ford focus: i have a 99 t reg..driving along..die..accelerator

Hi, i have a 99 t reg ford focus 2.0 ghia. have had it a year and every now and again when your driving along, the engine will just die and all power lost but it will start again and u dont have to do it on the key, just start reving it up again on the accelerator and your off again. This fault is now getting worse and it probably happens once a day now. The engine management light doesnt come on. Someone in work suggested the coil pack. Any ideas? Many thanks
Hi Simon

Welcome to Just Answer

I would not think that this fault would come from the coil pack as the engine would die and not start for some time if that were the case.

I believe from your description that the fault is more likely to be related to the throttle position sensor, located on the oposite side to the throttle cable on the throttle body.

It may be a poor connection on the plug, when it loses contact it resets itself and thinks you have not yet pressed the throttle until you ease off and it resets back to zero and away you go again.

Hope this helps