How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13460
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dad has recently passed away and is not married to my mum

Customer Question

My dad has recently passed away and is not married to my mum and does not have a will. I have been told that this would mean that his estate would be passed onto his children. Is this the case and if so am I able to freeze his assets until it is resolved.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Which part of the Uk did your father live in?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Clare thank you for response he lived in England
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

What is the extent of the Estate - what assets are there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not 100% sure of everything and this is why I need advice there is a house which I believe with a low morgage, there may be cash in the bank. He owned a roofing company with a van a tools. The house would roughly be worth £240,000. My mum is down as joint owner of the house.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

How many children does he have, and are the accounts in his sole name?

Why would the assets need to be frozen?

Related UK Family Law Questions