Clare
Clare, Family Solicitor
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
13262538

Clare, The six months gap was from January 2016 to June

Customer Question

Hi Clare,The six months gap was from January 2016 to June 2016. In June I emailed my partner to inform him that I was going abroad for the summer with the girls and, on that occasion, he asked whether he could see his children. I asked him why he had disappeared for six months and he responded that he had things to sort out and was none of my business. I also have to clarify that, even when we were living together, my ex never cared or looked after the girls. I was always their only carer. We split up when the girls were 18 months old and we agreed (his choice) that he would see them for three hours every other Sunday. He stuck to the agreement for a month and then started cancelling nearly every time he had to see the girls. Even then, he did not see the girls for 6 weeks without explanation. My ex is now insisting to see the girls every two weeks but he wants to take them home and he is pushing for the girls to meet his girlfriend. I understand that, if his relationship with his live in partner continues, the girls will have to meet her eventually but I don't feel comfortable at all with him taking the girls to his home after his erratic behaviour. Also, he has never cared for them and the girls are still very little so it would be like leaving them with two strangers for me. I obviously want my daughters to build a relationship with their father and that's why I have let him come to our place to spend time with the girls and we have met a couple of times to a soft play. Could you please advice on what is the best way to handle this situation?
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for asking for me.

How long has the latest contact arrangement been kept to so far?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He has only seen the girls 5 times since June. Once in July, for a couple of hours with his parents. Once in September, with his parents, three times with me. Each one of these times was only for two hours. Also, a few weeks ago I suggested leaving him with the girls at the soft play for about 40 mins but he wanted me to stay in case he could not handle the girls.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could you please confirm that the content of these emails is confidential and will not be published on line?
Expert:  Clare replied 5 months ago.

You will have the chance to "lock" the question at the end - but it is always best to keep names out of the text in any event (apart from mine)

Could his parents play a larger part in Contact?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, because they live hours away.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will the "lock" voice appear at the end of our conversation? I can't see it now.