How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33948
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a 19 year old son who refuses to get any sort of job

Customer Question

We have a 19 year old son who refuses to get any sort of job or education and we believe he is involved in drugs, possibly dealing. We asked the police to help us get him to leave after a violent alteration between him and my hubby and they said this was his home and we could not force him out! He is alienating his siblings who have children ( our grandchildren) who will not visit if he is here. Where do we stand legally.. we are desperate and feel like prisoners in our own home.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

What the Police mean is that you cannot simply force him out immediately

You need to give him "reasonable written notice to leave"

This shoudl be at least 14 days - with 21 days possibly being better

At the end of that time you can wait until he is out and simply change the locks and make his belongings available for collection

If he attempts to return to the property after that date you can then ask the police for help and they will have to give it.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** say notice; does this need to be in writing or through a solicitor? He has smashed things up in the house before when we have tried having a conversation about his lifestyle etc. We are truly afraid, which the police didnt seem bothered about.
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

It simply needs to be in writing and you need to keep a copy

Related UK Family Law Questions