Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

I'm having some issues with my husband and by way of giving

Customer Question

I'm having some issues with my husband and by way of giving our marriage a second chance I have requested 50% of his shares in the family business. I have requested these shares so that it may form part of a deterrent for my husband continue with some of his behaviours. I do work for the family business but hold no shares. My husband has agreed to this and I have advised if the marriage breaks down through my wishes and through no part of his own I will return the shares but if my husbands unreasonable behaviour continues that I am able to divorce him and retain the shares. Is there an agreement that can be put in place for this before I seek legal advise from a solicitor?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Violence and alcohol abuse. My husband has been doing well for the last 14 months but relapsed on Friday evening but no abuse took place. I just need a deterrent to assist from any further relapses.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet - we will be to make the agreement legally binding if this is possible. I don't want to be duped by my husband.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so. I do love my husband but I also need to protect my financial security for myself and my children.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 months ago.

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive.It is perfectly reasonable to prepare the type of document which you are suggesting.

You should see a solicitor who specialises in family law. They can provide for a couple of hundred pounds the type of document which you are proposing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What type of document would this be?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 month ago.

It is basically a post nuptial agreement. They are very straight forward and becoming pretty common. Happy to discus. Please rate positive.

I see you have not rated yet. Is there any other questions that I can help you with?

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you