F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years General Practice including Divorce & Matrimonial Property

How can I find out how much I'm due when there is a charge

Customer Question

How can I find out how much I'm due when there is a charge on the house that my ex lives in
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
What have I paid for ?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 19 days ago.

Could you explain the situation here and what exactly it is that you want to know, a little more please?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
There is a charge on my ex husbands house I wanted to know how I find out how much is it for
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I have a copy of my ex husbands house land registry which says there is a charge on it due to me when monies paid how do I find out how much that is as he had no intention of giving me anything
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I'm repeating myself because it says not enough information
Expert:  F E Smith replied 19 days ago.

You are Frances I assume.

The charge was put on in 1997.

Do you know why it was put on?

Why has this become an issue now after all this time?

Obviously, there is no other mortgage.

As much background detail as you have with regard to the entry of the charge on the property would help us greatly.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
To be honest I don't have much to do with my ex we split up a long time ago he no longer has a mortgage . He has told me that he would give half of what the house was worth when I left him about 90000 I earned a lot more than he did so I agreed he changes his mind on a regular basis and I did not want to wait until he dies before I get it
Expert:  F E Smith replied 19 days ago.

Thank you. You need to apply to the land registry to get a copy of the registered charge because the entry on the Title says “to secure the monies therein mentioned” and hence, you will have an idea then of exactly what was registered. The documents usually cost about £10.

You will also have an indication whether you would be able to force a sale of the property or whether you are going to have to wait until he either sells, remortgages, or dies.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.