How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: UK Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33672
Experience:  25 years experience of all aspects of family law
Type Your UK Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got married in St Lucia in 2012 never registered the

Customer Question

Hi I got married in St Lucia in 2012 never registered the marriage back in the UK is legally binding as we're just about to start divorce proceeding. I also own the property he has never been on the deeds and has never had a bill in his name. He was bankrupt when we meet so came to me with nothing. Know saying he is going to take ever thing. I have a 15 year old daughter who live with me. Please help confused.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: UK Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

How long have you lived together in total?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
House is worth £160,000 no mortgage deeds in my name paid off in 2015. Live together for 5 years.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No phone call as difficult to talk as he is currently still in the house.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No joint accounts, everything in my name cars etc as he was unable to get credit due to bankruptcy.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

What income do you each have?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His is about £35,000 and mine is £40,000
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The daughter is from my previous marriage but lives solely with us.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has only worked for the 3year as prior to that he was on the sick.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Your marriage is indeed valid - there is no requirement to Register it in the UK.

Whilst he does have a valid financial claim on the Matrimonial Home it is a small one because of his lack of contribution and the

relatively short length of the relationship

You need to try and negotiate with him using Family Mediation

I am afraid that it could cost you as much as £10,000 although I would start at £5,000

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Related UK Family Law Questions